Wednesday, June 2, 2010

2007 Platform 9 Merlot

As per the request of one Paul Hensel I decided to drink a red last night. Angela and I went over to Kroger, we had to buy some necessities anyway, I don't want Paul to think we did this all because he wanted a red review. I said, let's try a merlot and after a trying decision process finally picked up this 2007 Platform 9 Merlot from California. The wine cost $9.99, but was on sale; it normally retailed for $17.

Angela was not very excited about it, saying that merlot is never great. I opened the bottle and noticed that the cork was synthetic and blue. This was snazzy, but it certainly doesn't mean the wine is going to be good, just look good. I poured two glasses of it, one for me, and one for Angela. Upon first tasting this wine Angela's words of wisdom were confirmed.

This wine was certainly not great. It wasn't even good, however, it wasn't bad. It was wholly unremarkable. My first taste was without food. I didn't taste oak, I didn't taste sweet, I didn't taste sour, I didn't taste much of anything. I then had some with dinner which was chipotle bean burgers, corn on the cob and taboulli salad. The burgers were a little spicy, and the wine did not handle that well at all. It tasted acrid with spicy food. With the corn on the cob and the taboulli salad it again had little flavor.

This wine I think would be good for someone who doesn't really like wine. It isn't offensive in anyway, but it doesn't really wow you. For the price, it is a terrible buy. I was disappointed at $10 for the bottle, I can't imagine paying $17 for a bottle of it. I would not suggest anybody purchase this wine, unless they are looking for something that is really mild.

This wine receive 2 grapes out of 5.

1 comment:

  1. I hate all merlots. There is not a single good one in the lot.

    ReplyDelete