Saturday, June 12, 2010

2007 Martin Codax Ergo Tempranillo


This wine is red wine from the Rioja region of Spain. I must confess this is not the first time Angela and I have had this particular wine, and it is quite good. We purchased this bottle for $9.99 at the local Kroger here in Denton. Angela originally wanted white wine with dinner, but when she saw that they had this wine she insisted that we get it. We originally bought it because it has a lute on the label and lutes are awesome.

Yesterday was an interesting day. It was my day off from studying so we went out to Lake Ray Roberts for a few hours and floated around (it was 93 degrees but overcast, I used SPF 50 and still got pink, gotta love Texas). We then went directly from the lake to pick up a few things for dinner. I left my ID in the car because Angela was buying. The little 18 year old power hungry, snot nosed Kroger attendant insisted that I also get my ID, so I had to leave the store, walk to the far end of the parking lot (everyone who's ever been to that Kroger knows that you want to avoid the parking lot at all costs), get my ID, bring it in and show it to this kid, because I look like I'm under 21 (I also might add we were buying jalapenos, Advil and a few other necessities. Yeah all those kids looking to get drunk on a Friday night are buying wine and jalapenos, come on).

Well, we got home and Angela began cooking dinner. We had sweet potatos, asparagus in balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper shrimp with jalapenos and shallots. It was delicious and not too spicy and the wine complimented it greatly. This tempranillo was not a thick or full-bodied wine like a malbec or syrah (pettite or otherwise). It was light and full of flavor. It was not overwhelmingly sweet or oakey, I would call it balanced. It was a little juicy. It didn't overwhelm the food (not that anything could have, dinner was delicious and full of flavor). But if I were eating a light meal that wasn't overly flavorful, this wine would be at the top of my list. All in all, I would highly recommend this wine to anyone who wants a good medium-bodied red.

This wine receives 3.85 grapes out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment