Monday, May 24, 2010

2008 Paso a Paso Verdejo


Not many people are familiar with Verdejo, and I must confess this is my first time ever drinking a Verdejo. According to Wikipedia, Verdejo is a white Spanish wine from the Rueda region, you can read more here. I bought this bottle for $10.99 at Bargain Liquors in Rockville Centre, New York. I figured this was going to be a good wine, for a few reasons, 1) it's from Spain, 2) it cost more than $9 (that's generally my cutoff), and 3) it was purchased in a town where they misspell center to be a bit snooty.

Angela allowed me to pick this out all on my own, and that was, in my view, a mistake. This wine was in my opinion a subpar wine. I drank the wine with my mother's homemade pasta sauce (there was also pasta, it wasn't just the sauce). Her sauce is far from those super sweet store bought jarred sauces, it is almost tangy, and delicious (Angela felt the need to comment how I haven't exactly mastered that sauce yet). Well, I took my first sip and I was immediately pleased, however, that happiness dissapated as I swallowed. It was kind of harsh and I could really taste the alcohol. It wasn't dry, it wasn't sweet, it didn't have oak flavors, it was just kind of rough. I personally do not like my wines to taste like vodka.

I thought that maybe it was just interacting with the sauce poorly. So I got a glass of water (or rather Angela got it for me), and I took a big gulp, and took another swig of wine. It was just as harsh that time. I decided I was done with this wine. Dejected I switched to water only. Oh well, you live and learn.

All in all, I probably would not recommend this wine to many people. However, it may just be young. If I were going to drink this again, I would let it sit for probably another year or so, no more than that, as it has a synthetic cork. All in all, if you like wines that have a bit of a bite you might enjoy this one because the first flavors are delicious.

This wine receive 1 grape out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment