Thursday, May 13, 2010

2008 Cupcake Chardonnay


I've probably had this wine at least 2 dozen times but for the price it's perfect. It's a chardonnay from the central California coast and we get it at our local Kroger for $10. I had it last night with some pork chops, broccoli and rice (I might add, the pork chops were overcooked and the rice slightly undercooked, Angela is out of town and I'm a terrible cook). The wine, however, made the meal slightly more bearable.

It a light chardonnay, not too overpowering, which I find those oak barrel aged chardonnays are, but it wasn't lacking in flavor like you find in stainless steel aged chardonnays. In order to make my pork chops taste a little better I used a generous amount of Tabasco. Usually spicy and wine do not go well together, but the Cupcake wasn't bad. It is pretty smooth. With the spiciness of the Tabasco you could taste just a bit of the alcohol.

Unlike a lot of white wines, which I find to be a bit too sweet, there is very little sweetness in this wine. I can't really pinpoint one flavor in it, but it was quite flavorful. If you are trying to impress a guest, DO NOT serve this wine. Although it is good, it will not blow anyone away. This being said, I would say it is a perfect "everyday" wine. It is fairly cheap and very versatile.

This wine receives 2.75 grapes out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment