Tuesday, May 11, 2010

2007 Canard Napa Valley Rose


Tonight I had a 2007 Canard Napa Valley Rose. It cost $13 at a specialty shop in Denton called Vigne, but can be purchased for $12 from the Canard's website (just as a note, the winemaker Brian Graham is a Denton native).

I had had this wine before and I wasn't sure if I was crazy about it, but turns out, I think it is a solid wine. It's apparently made from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, however, they don't just use the straight juice. It's what wine people call "Saignier." This basically means that the wine touches the skins for a bit, but not for long (one of two ways of making rose wine). Well, that's is enough of the wine expert stuff.

I was not sure if I liked this wine the first time I drank it, but it really grew on me the second time. I drank it was teriyaki chicken salad (which Angela made and was delicious). It had a touch of sweetness to it, but not overpouring sweetness. It was delicious with the chicken and was perfect on a warm May night in Texas. We served it chilled and it was light and refreshing. The sweetness went really well with the salty and sweetness of the teriyaki.

The finish is a little rough. You can really taste the alcohol as you swallow. It doesn't go down as smooth as other roses (i.e. white zinfandel), but the flavor was much less like grape juice. All in all, I would definetly recommend this wine in certain situations. It is certainly not a wine for entertaining important folk, but if you're looking to have a bbq in the summer in the backyard with some close friends, this wine is perfect. It is quite refreshing.

This wine receives 3.5 grapes out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment